Friday 23 February 2018

East Meets West

I used to live in a world
of freshly squeezed laundry,
Himalayan pink salt on Atlantic salmon,
and thermostatic, triple jet showers.
But now I live in a world
of re-worn t-shirts, mouldy
Cheerios in chipped bowls, and
sputtering streams of cold water in a rectangular box.
I used to live in a world nothing, but having everything.
Where you could have anything you wanted,
you never went hungry, and the internet
never turned off.
But now I live in a world of everything,
but having nothing. Where eyesight
is a luxury, textbooks an impossibility,
and gluttony a distant memory.
I used to live in a world of fantasy,
where everyone had only one job,
overtime was not the expectation,
and education and housing a public
and expected right.
But now I live in a world of reality,
where accounts are fined for being empty,
clothes are mocked for having holes,
and education and housing are an insurmountable
mass of anxiety and debt.
I used to believe in sleep,
but now I believe in bills.
I used to believe in authority,
but now I believe in corruption.
I used to believe in universities,
as a universe of support and accessible education,
but now I believe in greed:
a monster
that sits and takes everything, even when its victim,

already has nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Need

I’ve seen cities that bleed. Unpaved streets drowned in desperate mothers, starving fathers, and crying chil...